Cura and I have been together since 2009. We want to thank all of you who followed the early days as well as those who popped back on occasion during the long hiatus. Training was done, the days passed, and we were settling into our life together.
Fast forward: Cura is slowing down and a new member of the family is in training. On top of that, we are all busy with our new calling . . . Running the Training Department for Paws and Stripes. Join us on our journey!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Back into the Routine?

Well, finger's crossed, anyway!  I hope everyone likes the new look.  Since Cura graduated in July, I thought it would be wonderful to mark the occassion by redecorating.  I owe a BIG thank you to Marie over at The Play of Light and Shadow for the amazing new header.  She was increadable.  I was one of those people who had a vague idea of what I wanted and a very strong sense of what I DIDN'T want for the new look and she patiently attempted to visually portray intent.  Let me know what you think!

August and September were filled with all sorts of time consuming activities.  I signed up for some classes (one of many steps on the way toward a teaching license).  It has been ages since I have been on that side of the classroom.  Cura has taken to the routine very well (big surprise there, I know).  But it makes for quite a long day because they are night classes.  Both classes require a considerable amount of classroom observation so that, too, has been on the agenda.  Since I am interested in K-5, that means that Cura has spent time around lots of little people for the very first time.  Apart from the occassional 'greeting' in public, Cura really has no little people in her life, so I was not sure how she would feel being in the classroom.  Fortunately, all of the teachers I have worked with have been great.  The students were prepped ahead of time and some of the classes got to ask questions.  But they all followed the rules and didn't try to interact with Cura at all.  So, the whole process has gone very smoothly so far. 

I have also been going through an orientation process to teach University courses online.  The process has been rather time consuming but I am very prepared for my first class because of it.  The past week has been spent reviewing and preparing the online section and some students are already getting started this weekend even though the course technically starts tomorrow.

On top of all that, Cura and I still go to our weekly training classes, only now we are starting to help with the training end of things.  It is very challenging and exciting.  A Fresh Perspective Dog Training is responsible for the training of the Service Dogs for Paws and Stripes so there are a number of new Service Dog Teams on top of the regular basic training classes that they provide for the community.  So, Cura and I are learning the ropes and helping out with the training.  At the very least, we get to demonstrate some of the skills that they are working on. 

As I said, tons of stuff going on!  But, I think I might now have gotten into a bit of a routine again.  So, I am going to start posting regularly again.  My goal is at least once a week -- but deep down, I'm hoping for twice a week . . . we'll see how it goes!

No comments: