Cura and I have been together since 2009. We want to thank all of you who followed the early days as well as those who popped back on occasion during the long hiatus. Training was done, the days passed, and we were settling into our life together.
Fast forward: Cura is slowing down and a new member of the family is in training. On top of that, we are all busy with our new calling . . . Running the Training Department for Paws and Stripes. Join us on our journey!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Daylight Savings Time . . . .

I don't think dogs get it!

But first, let me apologize for my slow approval to the last couple of comments.  I recently changed my comments settings because I learned that the squiggly word verification method can be very difficult to deal with if a person has particular disabilities.  In my effort to make Cura's Corner more 'friendly' to those people, I moved to moderated comments.  Funnily enough, that means that I have to approve all comments.  Something that I knew but, obviously did not manage to truly register in my brain.  Until today.  So,  thank you for your comments and please keep 'em coming.  As I get more used this moderated comments thingy, I will get better -- I promise.  Meanwhile, if it takes a bit of time for your comment to appear, it is probably just because still have to approve them -- mea culpa!

Now, back to daylight savings time.  As some of you know, Cura is the Service Dog in the family, but she has a "sister" -- a lovely Cairn Terrier who is also a rescue.  Now, both dogs have a routine and, as much as possible, their routines tend to overlap.  To some extent, the routines are constructed, but there are some things that have just developed because they fit out lifestyles.  But, I didn't actually realize how MUCH routine we had until the time change yesterday.  (I think I didn't notice it in the Spring because the time moves forward instead of back and the previous Fall, Cura and I were still a fairly new team, so I probably just figured any of this behavior I saw was part of the learning process.)

Sunday is one of the two training class days of the week. Most Sundays and Mondays, Cura and I leave the house around 12:30pm to go to class.  So, along comes 11:30am yesterday and Cura gets restless.  She woke from her morning nap (which she usually takes on those days that I am working on the computer first thing in the morning), started shifting around, looking at me, pricking her ears and wagging her tail when I looked over at her.  I made the mistake of getting up to take care of something and she was up and at the door waiting for her gear with her "Let's go, Mom!" expression on her face.  She was not a happy camper when it turned out we were not actually leaving. 

Then there was Skye and "bed time".  Skye is a one woman dog (oh, she tolerates everyone else, but we know who she REALLY loves best).  She and Nonna Ear Rubs usually head to "bed" about 8:00 or 8:30 -- well, the process starts at that point anyway with Skye getting her last trip outside for the evening.  So, there was Skye last night at 7:15 letting Nonna Ear Rubs know that it was time to let her out so they could go to bed!  Good thing Nonna Ear Rubs was tired and thinking of getting ready for bed early!

Just two examples of how dogs just don't get Daylight Savings Time -- I've gotta say, I think I'm with them -- especially in the Spring!

No comments: