Cura and I have been together since 2009. We want to thank all of you who followed the early days as well as those who popped back on occasion during the long hiatus. Training was done, the days passed, and we were settling into our life together.
Fast forward: Cura is slowing down and a new member of the family is in training. On top of that, we are all busy with our new calling . . . Running the Training Department for Paws and Stripes. Join us on our journey!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

First, there is some discussion about whether to make the Assistance Dog Blog Carnival bi-monthly.  I have not yet decided how I feel about that, but if you have an opinion, feel free to chime in and leave a comment here.

Which leads me to my latest thoughts, because they were prompted by the same blogger, Sharon at After Gadget.  I was reading her post titled Roadwork! (Walkin' and Talkin') and can totally relate!  Cura can get pretty bonkers when she doesn't get regular runs.  I don't know HOW Sharon has done it with an adolescent and no means to really exercise him! 

Some of you may know from previous posts that my method of running the squirrelies out of Cura is to use a golf cart.  The darn thing can get up to 20mph -- and Cura hardly breaks a sweat (figuratively speaking) unless it is the height of summer and then it is more the heat than the running that does it.  Being in New Mexico, even early morning runs can be toasty in Summer!

I have seen Cura go full out a couple of times and it is a sight to behold!  I swear that she can hit speeds in excess of 40 mph!  I would LOVE to find a huge field with a really high fence and just let her go!  Her running is why I used to think that she had Greyhound in her -- I was very surprised when the DNA test results came back and Greyhound was not in the mix.  But, she is still a hound and a runner.

So, when life gets away from me and Nona Ear Rubs and I can't get it together and run Cura regularly (three times a week usually does the trick) Cura lets us know.  With her exercise, she has better concentration.  She is able to deal with the "down time" more easily and patiently because she is able to move and work out the squirrelies on her runs.  Of Cura's needs, this is the one that I find the hardest to accommodate, but it is one of the most important.

Here is hoping that the golf cart stays healthy (anyone following our Tweets knows that it recently had a little glitch -- though it was quickly fixed) and we can keep Cura on her exercise schedule!

Bye for now!

1 comment:

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Gosh, she must have a lot of energy to burn.
Run Cura, run!