Cura and I have been together since 2009. We want to thank all of you who followed the early days as well as those who popped back on occasion during the long hiatus. Training was done, the days passed, and we were settling into our life together.
Fast forward: Cura is slowing down and a new member of the family is in training. On top of that, we are all busy with our new calling . . . Running the Training Department for Paws and Stripes. Join us on our journey!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Everyday (non)events

There has not really been anything spectacular or exceptions that has happened since my last post.  In fact, things have been ordinary.  I have begun working on a the revisions for my PhD again.  This time I have a strict schedule and am diligently sticking to it.  What that means is that I have been spending a lot of time with my head in books and in front of the computer and Cura gets to have quite a bit of semi-work time. 

Semi-work -- what the heck is THAT, you may ask.  Well, even if we are in the house, Cura is aware of my location and if I am out of sight for too long, she will come to check on me.  For example, we have one of those alarm systems that make a little beeping noise when doors are opened.  If I leave Cura upstairs (usually because she is napping and I plan to be right back) and go downstairs and go out to the garage to get something, by the time I come back inside, she is waiting at the door for me.  So much for being asleep! 

The few times we have gone out have been fairly uneventful.  Well, at least no more than normal.  We still get approached by people wanting to touch Cura.  Younger people just want to touch her, older people want to touch her AND talk my ear off!  There are still waiters who forget that there is a Service Dog under the table or tucked next to my chair.  Putting her in a corner doesn't even work all the time.  Just the other day I was at a restaurant.  When the server came to the table, I made sure that he knew that there was a Service Dog at the table and I pointed to where Cura was so he knew exactly where she was.  It was a small table, so she was not completely under the table -- but she was placed out of the walkway and in such a way that the server could access all the settings at the table without having to walk near her.  But, the next time he came to the table, he went straight to that area and banged into Cura.  She didn't really move, so it must not have been too bad, but still!  On top of that, he then proceeded to 'console' Cura by petting her and making a big deal about the fact that he bumped her.  THEN (you gotta LUV this . . .) he refilled our coffees -- pouring the hot coffee into our cups OVER Cura's body!  Now, I used to be a server and I realize that he was using a technique that insures that a beverage is not accidentally spilled on the table or a patron -- but if he HAD spilled any coffee accidentally, he would have dumped it on Cura! 

Sometimes it amazes me how much people just don't think!

More adventures (or non-advenures) next week!

No comments: