Cura and I have been together since 2009. We want to thank all of you who followed the early days as well as those who popped back on occasion during the long hiatus. Training was done, the days passed, and we were settling into our life together.
Fast forward: Cura is slowing down and a new member of the family is in training. On top of that, we are all busy with our new calling . . . Running the Training Department for Paws and Stripes. Join us on our journey!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Upping the Challenge (plus our blogaversary!)

Before I go any further, I have to give a little nod to Cura's and my blogaversary.  I completely spaced on Sunday and didn't even remember that, while we began our journey together a few months earlier, the firts post to Cura's Corner went up on June 13, 2009!  I knew it was sometime in June but I have a clearer memory of adoption day.  I never got around to checking the date of the first post before June began and when June hit, we have been so busy that I forgot all about it again until today!  Ah, well . . . we are officially a year old here at the Corner!  How far we have come!  Thanks to everyone who checks in on us, even if it is just from time to time.

Now -- about upping the Challenge . . .

This should come as no surprise!  This whole experience has been one big challenge.  When I look back at where Cura and I were just over a year ago (yes, she has been with me for almost 15 months -- it seems like forever AND yesterday all at the same time), I am amazed.  Not so much with her, but with me.  I am doing things that I have not done for years and if I did, I was VERY uncomfortable and got it over with as soon as possible.



A perfect example is going to the Mall.  Could. Not. STAND. Going. To. THE. MALL.  Just thinking about it would heighten my anxiety levels.  When I had to go, I was in and out as quickly as possible -- no window shopping, no browsing.  If I didn't find what I needed quickly, I usually did without it.  But, I digress . . .



This post is not about the Mall, at least not specifically.  Instead it is about yet another level of training for Cura.  She is already very good about not reacting to other dogs while she is working.  We have even gone on a few restaurant trips with another team (Crayola and Ginger) but now we are actually having the dogs work next to each other and not just relax side by side under the table.  We started off with the dogs on the outside and the two of us walking close enough that we could touch hands if we stretched out our arms -- about 5-6 feet.  Now Ginger and Cura walk side by side with only a few inches between then!  It only took one session to get them there and now it is all about reinforcement.

To top it off, Cura and I have started working with other Service Dogs in the same way.  Saturday we will be either having an initial session with a third dog, or a second session with the second dog that we trained with a couple weeks ago.  Either way, it will be interesting to see how we do!

No comments: