Cura and I have been together since 2009. We want to thank all of you who followed the early days as well as those who popped back on occasion during the long hiatus. Training was done, the days passed, and we were settling into our life together.
Fast forward: Cura is slowing down and a new member of the family is in training. On top of that, we are all busy with our new calling . . . Running the Training Department for Paws and Stripes. Join us on our journey!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Break Time!

It is amazing how quickly Treun is learning.   He is happy to try new things.  If I confuse him (something that I can easily manage to do - especially if I am pushing him too fast), he does not shut down, he just tries something else . . .what a trooper!

He is doing a wonderful job of picking things up for me.  He brings me his leash when I ask and picks up almost anything that is on the floor.  He even uses this skill to make me take much needed breaks at work.  First, he will sit and look at me, giving me the opportunity to be smart about it and take a break without his direct urging.  I must admit, this does not always work (bad handler!) so Treun will be a little insistent and start to wag his tail and grumble at me.  If I do not respond appropriately to THIS attention getting strategy, he pulls out all the stops and resorts to the one thing that always gets me to take a break . . . and to smile.

He finds something on or in my desk, grabs it, drops it on the floor, picks it up and gives it to me! Mission accomplished!  That always works . . . whether it is paperwork, the phone, or even his food bowl, I stop what I am doing and give myself a break!  Not him, though!  Treun gets to practice so it is possible that he is just bored and wants to do some training.  However, so far, his timing has been right on.  I have noticed that when he uses this trick, I really am in need of a break for some reason (stiffness, headache, hungry, thirsty, bathroom, etc.).  Smart boy!

No comments: